How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask socrateaser Your Own Question

socrateaser, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 36037
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
Type Your Legal Question Here...
socrateaser is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How can we change an AB Living Trust to just a regular Living

Customer Question

How can we change an AB Living Trust to just a regular Living Trust?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  socrateaser replied 4 years ago.

What you are trying to do is pretty difficult, unless you revoke the existing trust and create a new one in its place.

The reason is that an A/B trust has a lot of various terms and conditions that are necessary to create the appropriate provisions. So, you can't just cross out a few lines and convert it to a trust without a decedent's trust.

I'm wondering why this matters. The A/B trust form is the best protection against probate available, and even if your estate is less than $10,,000,000, the language generally covers smaller estates.

Feel free to explain your situation, and I'll try to help.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

My husband and I have 4 children from previous marriages. We want the estate to be divided equally among the 4. As I understand an AB trust, 1/2 goes to his heirs and 1/2 to my heirs. Am I correct in this? The estate isn't millions, perhaps about +/- $500,000 at best. He has 3 and I have 1 and 250,000 divided 3 ways doesn't seem very fair. We really didn't understand all of this when we got the trust about 10 years ago but now that we're in our 70's it's something we're looking at more closely. Thanks for a response.

Expert:  socrateaser replied 4 years ago.
Okay, thanks for the update.

An A/B trust separates assets only for the purposes of minimizing estate tax liability. It does not effect the ultimate distributions. If you and your husband have directed assets in differing proportions to various children, those distributions will be enforced, even though there is a prior A/B division, during the surviving spouse's lifetime.

So, there's probably nothing to do at all. Look at all the money and hassle you've saved!!!

Hope this helps.

socrateaser, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 36037
Experience: Retired (mostly)
socrateaser and 6 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have just one more question -- can we add a name to the Successor Trustee by hand-writing it in? The son we designated died and a daughter is established as the Successor Trustee -- but she's a very busy woman and we'd like to add our son-in-law to that task when it becomes necessary. Besides that they live in our same town and my daughter lives 50 miles away.
Expert:  socrateaser replied 4 years ago.
You would have to formally amend the trust. This can be done by a revocation and amendment that would be one page whereby each settlor declares the original trust revoked, and then amended to add the new successor trustee's name, and then states that with the exception of the addition, the original trust remains in full force and effect.

And, then you would both sign before a notary public.

A handwritten amendment would likely be interpreted as invalid, because for starters, only one settlor's handwriting would be present -- which would only show one settlor's intent.

Of course you could both write the exact same thing onto the face of the trust, but it could be pretty difficult to squeeze things in, effectively.

Also, to be frank, son-in-laws sometimes become "ex" son-in-laws. So, while I'm sure you have nothing but the best intentions here, be careful about naming an "in-law" as a trustee, because I have seen this sort of thing go awry before.

You could probably get a lawyer to write a one-page amendment for maybe $150 -- if your only change is to add the successor trustee and delete the deceased child (my condolences, by the way).

For an estate planning attorney referral, see this link.

Hope this helps.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan

Meet The Experts:

  • Tina


    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
< Last | Next >
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • FiveStarLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years of experience helping people like you.
  • JPEsq's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experience as general attorney, in house counsel, SSDI, Family Law attorney, and law professor
  • Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.'s Avatar

    Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    7+ years of experience handling various legal matters.
  • Law Educator, Esq.'s Avatar

    Law Educator, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.