Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer
26798026

Hello, Im looking at North Carolona Statute 66-67.5 and have

Hello, I'm looking at North Carolona Statute 66-67.5 and have a question about expiration date of gift certificates. Since the law says nothing about exipiration dates, does that mean I can issue a gift certificate with an expiration date and then prevent someone from trying to redeem that gift certificate, or get a refund after that date? Here's the URL: http://law.onecle.com/north-carolina/66-commerce-and-business/66-67.5.html
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 5 years ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

That statute doesn't address expiration dates on gift cards. The relevant statute is N.C. Gen. Stat. §116B-53(c)(8), which says "Any gift certificate or electronic gift card bearing an expiration date and remaining unredeemed or dormant for more than three years after the gift certificate or electronic gift card was sold is deemed abandoned. The amount abandoned is deemed to be sixty percent (60%) of the unredeemed portion of the face value of the gift certificate or the electronic gift card."