Richard, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with 29 years of experience.

I am being sued by a credit card company (HSBC Visa). I co-signed

I am being sued by a credit card company (HSBC Visa). I co-signed on a car loan for my stepson. When he lost his job, I ended up with the payments. My wife now uses the car. We were unable to keep up with our credit card payments, and all have gone to collections. I am on disability & so is my wife. From an auto accident. We can make some payments now after reviewing what expenses we could cut & things we could do without., we weren't a couple of years ago. I have 30 days to respond to the court. What are my options? Thanks for your help. I live in Hemet,California
Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.

Good evening. Your disability income and any retirement income or retirement assets you have are safe from creditors. So, if you have no other assets for them to get, you are really judgment proof and can tell them you can't pay. They will be able to repossess the car, however.

I hope this has given you the guidance you were seeking. I wish you the best of luck!

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

The information given here is not legal advice. As all states have different intricacies in their laws, the information given is general only. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have 2 car payments. They are years away from being paid off. there is very little equity in them, if any. would they be able to take them? Your help would be appreciated?
Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.
No...they cannot take any car but the car that was co-signed for and that your wife uses. The others are safe. No worries.