Daniel Solutions
Daniel Solutions, Lawyer (JD)
Experience:  Practing General Attorney,

My son signed an auto contract and traded in a vehicle that

My son signed an auto contract and traded in a vehicle that wasn't in his name, and they don't have the title signed for the vehicle traded in. Is this legal?
Thank you for allowing us to assist you with this problem. I am not fully aware of what prior steps you have taken.

No it's not legal but the problem is that its not the deal but rather your son who did the illegal act. The dealer was given the vehicle by your son so he can not use the law to help him since you son acted illegally. Your son is still bound to the contract. However, the titled owner of the vehicle can sue the dealer to get the trade in back assuming the deal does not have proof they were under the impression that your son owned the vehicle. If they do have such proof then they can keep the car and the titled owner of the car can sue your son.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The dealership already knew that the vehicle was in his mother's name, but continued to sell this vehicle. they told him to have his mother sign the purchase agreement later. we don't even have the title to this vehicle. it is financed through our banking facility.
Thank you for the information but again he is bound by the contract regardless.

The mother can sue the dealership for the value of the car and in turn the dealership can sue him for the amount the have to pay the mother.

Its a legal mess for him because he was the one who voluntarily gave the car to the dealership and that's the way the courts will view it.

I do understand what you are hoping to achieve but its not possible.