LADYLAWYER
LADYLAWYER, Lawyer
Experience:  Civil; Family; HOA; Landlord/Tenant; Real Estate; Probate; Insurance; Immigration; Wills & Trusts
7887522

I am the owner of a website for a club and as a courtesy created email addresses for some

I am the owner of a website for a club and as a courtesy created email addresses for some of the members. At the time I created my website and email address I also set up a "catch-all" email box for incorrectly addressed emails. The problem is that now one of the email addresses is not working correctly and all those emails are coming into the "catch-all" box and then forwarded to my administrator email address. Is there a privacy issue with this?
Expert:  LADYLAWYER replied 3 years ago.

LADYLAWYER :

Hello, Thanks for choosing Justanswer.com! I look forward to helping you with legal information today.

Customer:

LADYLAWYER :

Just so I have the facts clear, are other people's emails to the club members going to you or are the club members own emails going to you?

Customer:

The emails that are addressed to this particular club member are now coming to me thru the "catch-all" email box as her email address is not working. They are addressed to her using the sportsmans club email address that I created thru my website. This just started happening about 2 weeks ago.

LADYLAWYER :

Thank you. Emails aree public records. Therefore, there can be no expectation of privacy and you do not need to worry about breaches of privacy or intellectual property rights here.

LADYLAWYER :

You may need to recreate a secondary email for this member.

LADYLAWYER :

In any case, she cannot hold you accountable for the emails that are coming to you under her email address.

LADYLAWYER :

Please just let me know if you have any more questions. :) If not, please don't forget to click on the green accept button in the answer box so that I can receive credit for helping you. It is the only way I can receive compensation for my time and it will charge you nothing further to press accept. Thanks so much.

Customer:

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX the information I have already found during my online searches but I wanted to make sure. I have tried repeatedly to recreat this email for but it doesn't work. I have offered to create a different email address for her but she refuses. I also found out from yahoo that someone accessed my personal yahoo profile and this person created an email address as an alternate contact, the name in the email address is this person I am referring to.

Customer:

She denies accessing my infor but she admits to contacting yahoo and she even sent me an email with yahoo's phone number. I have contacted Yahoo 3 times and been told that the only way this email address was created was if another person had my id, password, etc.

LADYLAWYER :

Thank you. She does not own the rights to that email address. So she can refuse to have you create another one for her but you have no duties or obligations with regard to either email address.

LADYLAWYER :

In fact, if she did what you are claiming, she is guilty of a breach of privacy here and possibly fraud.

LADYLAWYER :

At this time, I would completely delete the account and refuse to open a new one for her.

LADYLAWYER :

You should also change all of your passwords and alert Yahoo of the breach.

Customer:

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX already done as you have suggested. You have given me peace of mind in regards XXXXX XXXXX email addresses.

Customer:

Thank you for your time. Have a good evening.

LADYLAWYER :

You're very welcome, Cindy. And you have a good evening as well! Please just let me know if you have any more questions. :) If not, please don't forget to click on the green accept button in the answer box so that I can receive credit for helping you. It is the only way I can receive compensation for my time and it will charge you nothing further to press accept. Thanks so much.

LADYLAWYER, Lawyer
Experience: Civil; Family; HOA; Landlord/Tenant; Real Estate; Probate; Insurance; Immigration; Wills & Trusts