Justice4U, Attorney
Experience:  Broad base of legal experience.

i had a car repossession years ago. now I am getting calls

i had a car repossession years ago. now I am getting calls that they want me to pay 3000 dollars or they are going to garnish my wages and stop my student loans. Can they do this?

Please click the ACCEPT button, even if you have placed a deposit or are on a subscription plan.

What state are you located in?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Pennsylvania. On my credit report the account status is closed.
While contracts under seal have a 20 year statute of limitations in Pennsylvania, your contract should not be under seal as a vehicle financing agreement. As such, you are dealing with the statute of limitations for a written contract which is 4 years. If the default on the car loan was more than 4 years ago, the statute of limitations would be a bar to a civil suit to recover the amount owed. Without a civil suit, the creditor cannot force you to pay via garnishment or otherwise. It sounds like you are dealing with an unethical creditor who is making false threats.

Thank you