John Legal
John Legal, Attorney
Experience:  Over 15 years legal experience.

If my daughter is not picked up by 6p.m. for visitation and

Customer Question

If my daughter is not picked up by 6p.m. for visitation
and no prior arrangements were made, is his allowed to pick her up at any time during his weekend or will I be held accountable if I do not allow the visit?
Expert:  John Legal replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for asking Just Answer,

You do not have to allow visitation "any time" during the weekend but you should be reasonable her. A court is not going to apply strict compliance so that if he is not there by 6:01 you can deny visitation. That is not how it works. However, on the other hand if he shows up at 9-10 pm and wants to start his visitation without prior agreement then a court would find it perfectly reasonable to deny visitation.

You do not have to have your schedule beholden to him showing up 2-20 hours late. However you should give him reasonable leeway. It is hard to tell what is reasonable until a court tells you it is not.

Remember through all of these issues that the court is not really that interested in each of your feelings here, you are adult parents. The court is going to look at "the best interest of your daughter." Every once and a while just take a step by and try to take "what is in her best interest" perspective.