Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses

My boyfriend and i signed a lease together in Apirl 2010 until

My boyfriend and i signed a lease together in Apirl 2010 until June 2011. We broke up in November and he moved out, and took everything that belonged to him. I called the landlord and his name removed from the lease and had his keys taken away. He left his dresser here and it has been sitting here since we moved in and he did not take it with him in November when he moved out. Now he claims he is going to come take it. However it was ours, we shared it and i have had it since weve moved it. Does he have the right to come and take it, even though i have had it for almost a year now?
Expert:  INFOLAWYER replied 5 years ago.

I am a legal expert at Justanswer. I have reviewed your question and will be helping you today.

who paid for it?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

neither him or myself. it was something he had prior to our relationship and he moved it here in april 2010. but has left it here since november 2010 when he moved out and was removed from the lease.

On the one hand by bringing it in it would be his and he has a right to claim. On the other hand, he cannot enter without your consent and since he left it behind for so long it has been waived and abandoned. That second argument trumps the first.

I hope you found the answer fast and straightforward. Please remember to click ACCEPT - as it is the only way I get credit and paid for your answer - even if you have a deposit or membership with justanswer.

If you need any clarification or other information, just click REPLY before or after you click accept. I am happy to follow up to your satisfaction! On very rare occasion, there may be a delay between responses if I am taking a break or helping other customers.

Leaving a BONUS is always appreciated! Positive Feedback is also very much appreciated.

I wish I could always provide good news to customers but sometimes that is not the case. I prefer and you deserve no less than the truth. Telling you what you want to hear is irresponsible of me and unfair to you so please keep that in mind. That said, even in a bad news situation, I try to give options if they exist.

You can always request me in the future - just begin the question with “This Question is for INFOLAWYER…”