Julie Mains
Julie Mains, Attorney
Experience:  Extensive employment law, securities law, and estate planning experience

Are there squatters rights in Indiana My father owns land

Customer Question

Are there squatters rights in Indiana? My father owns land in Indiana. Someone, whom we know, has planted trees. He made a camp on the property. He doesn't live on it, but is there on almost a daily basis. Is there such a thing as squatters rights in Indiana? How does it work?
Expert:  Julie Mains replied 5 years ago.
He is trespassing and your father should file a complaint on the trespassing to insure that there is never an argument that he was complacent in allowing him access to the land. Adverse possession is a process under common law where a premises can change ownership - squatters rights are one form of advserse possession. Claiming squatters rights requires long periods of time such as 10, 15, 20 years. In Indiana, the time limit is twn (10) years and the one who is there for ten years must be there consecutively and pay taxes and assessments. By the way you have given the facts, it does not sound like this man's actions reaches that level. Nonetheless, the easiest way to prevent this time limit from starting is to file the complaint of trespassing and go on notice of the objection to his using your property.