MDLaw, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced attorney in contract law, litigation and employment law

Can I own a gun or purchase one. Texas felony deferred adjudication.

Customer Question

Can I own a gun or purchase one. Texas felony deferred adjudication. Was arrested in 2004 for possession of marijuana Over 4 OZ was felony. Got deferred adjudication. 3 years probation community services. Was release from probation early, after 1 ½ years. That was 4 years ago.
I had a Gun shop run their back ground check on me and got the ok to purchase.

Thank you
Expert:  MDLaw replied 5 years ago.
A deferred adjudication is not a conviction and therefore, if you completed the probation, then yes, you can purchase a gun, assuming there is nothing else in your background that would prevent you from doing so.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have read, that texas and feds consider deferred adjudication as a conviction. that is not true?
Expert:  MDLaw replied 5 years ago.
No, it is not considered a conviction. In some instances, it can be TREATED like a convinction (i.e. if you get arrested again, it can be used against you) but it is not considered a convinction. In other words, if you are asked if you have ever been convicted, you can say no and it would be a truthful statement.