Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney & Certified Mediator

I have a judgment lien and this is what I understand. The

I have a judgment lien and this is what I understand. The judgment was entered on 08/13/05 and an expiration date was entered as 08/13/13. Line 4 of this document states, this judgement expires 5 years after the date it is recorded with the register of deeds or when the underlying judgment expires, whichever is earlier. Am i correct to assume that 5yrs from 08/13/05 is 08/13/10 and this has expired?
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 5 years ago.
Am i correct to assume that 5yrs from 08/13/05 is 08/13/10 and this has expired?

Five years from the date of entry is 8/13/2011. But read what you wrote carefully. It says,
"Five years after the date is recorded with the register of deeds." This means it is five years if it was recorded in the register of deed in your county. If there was no registry then it would end on 8/13/13.

In other words, the five years only applies if it was recorded in the register of deeds. Hope this makes sense.

Please click accept, and I can help with further questions if you have them.

Please Note: is a public forum. is not a law firm. is only a question and answer site. Asking a question does not create an attorney-client relationship nor is your question protected under the attorney-client privilege. An attorney-client relationship is established when you enter into written contract for representation and pay a retainer directly with the attorney or attorney’s firm. uses the term “Expert”. I do not hold myself as an expert when I answer your questions. The information given by me is not legal advice. I am not establishing an attorney-client relationship with you. I am providing only research, resources and information only for you to be informed and educated about your particular needs and my answer is limited to the facts presented. You are only paying me for such information given.

My answer or reply is limited to your facts presented and additional information you post may not come in after my reply or answer has posted, if this has occurred please let me know and I will answer further. Due to site tech reasons, oftentimes I am initially only able to see the first part of your post, so this may result in more interactions between us. There might also be a delay in my reply or answers, as I may be helping other customers, or called away from my office or have logged off. Please be assured your question(s) will be answered promptly.

If I have been helpful, please click Accept for my time and research, this is the only way I get paid. If you need more help or clarification, please click reply. Positive Feedback is greatly appreciated and reciprocated. Feedback should relate to customer service and not about the law, which I have no control over. You can always request me through my profile here or beginning your question with “Attention lawNinvest” Thank you.