Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...

Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney & Certified Mediator
1723468

My wife and I bought jewerly in Cambodia. The people at the

My wife and I bought jewerly in Cambodia. The people at the store I bought it from then robbed us of the jewerly after my credit card was charged. They ran the car we were in off the side of the road in public and took the jewerly from us. We were very scared. They also knew when we were going to go to the airport to leave the country. My credit card company protects against thief but required I make a police report within 48 hours. I did not make the police report until I left the country for fear of my wife and my safety. The tour book I used "Frommers" stated that the police in Cambodia probably will not investagate and might just take money from us themselves. I have been working with the tourist police via e-mail. They have investigated the robbery and in an e-mail to me have stated that they believe I was robbed by the merchant and that the merchant is liying. My credit card company is dening coverage because I did not report the robbery to the police within 48 hours. Is their some law that states if you feel you are in danger you can wait to report the robbery after the 48 hours and the credit card company still must make good on the claim?
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 3 years ago.
In what country or state did you obtain your credit card in?

Thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I live in Ohio. The credit card is Chase mastercard Presidencial Plus.
Thank you for your reply.

To answer your question:

Is their some law that states if you feel you are in danger you can wait to report the robbery after the 48 hours and the credit card company still must make good on the claim?

The answer is No. State law has no law. State law has left this policy to the credit card agencies to implement. State and Federal law only regulate disclosure laws regarding the issuance or denial of credit.

The only other options to consider would be suing or filing criminal charges. I do however understand why you would be afraid of doing so.

I wish I had a positive answer to provide, but unfortunately that is not the case for your legal situation.

_______________________________________________

Please Note: JustAnswer.com is a public forum. JustAnswer.com is not a law firm. JustAnswer.com is only a question and answer site. Asking a question does not create an attorney-client relationship nor is your question protected under the attorney-client privilege. An attorney-client relationship is established when you enter into written contract for representation and pay a retainer directly with the attorney or attorney’s firm.

JustAnswer.com uses the term “Expert”. I do not hold myself as an expert when I answer your questions. The information given by me is not legal advice. I am not establishing an attorney-client relationship with you. I am providing only research, resources and information only for you to be informed and educated about your particular needs and my answer is limited to the facts presented. You are only paying me for such information given.

My answer or reply is limited to your facts presented and additional information you post may not come in after my reply or answer has posted, if this has occurred please let me know and I will answer further. Due to site tech reasons, oftentimes I am initially only able to see the first part of your post, so this may result in more interactions between us. There might also be a delay in my reply or answers, as I may be helping other customers, or called away from my office or have logged off. Please be assured your question(s) will be answered promptly.

If I have been helpful, please click Accept for my time and research, this is the only way I get paid. If you need more help or clarification, please click reply. Positive Feedback is greatly appreciated and reciprocated. Feedback should relate to customer service and not about the law, which I have no control over. You can always request me through my profile here or beginning your question with “Attention lawNinvest” Thank you.

Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Experience: Attorney & Certified Mediator