Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

Can I get out of the contract to buy a new car. I put $20,000

Can I get out of the contract to buy a new car. I put $20,000 down on Saturday but did not take delivery. They are trying to locate the car, but I decided I want something else. Can I get out of this if I go into tomorrow to cancel. Contract says no cancellation and no refund.
Expert:  Roger replied 5 years ago.

Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a litigation attorney here to assist you.

If you have signed a contract for a new vehicle, you are obligated under that contract and there's no backing out without penalty.

However, if your contract doesn't specifically identify a vehicle you're purchasing, it may be that the contract is not complete, and if it is not complete, you should be able to walk away and get your money back.

I would recommend that you ask the dealer to let you out of this purchase, which the dealer should do if you are willing to purchase another vehicle from them.

If you want to totally walk away, you are going to need an attorney to review the contract and see whether or not it is fully performed. If it is not, you should have a way out. If it is, you would be obligated under the agreement.