Juliana, Attorney
Experience:  23 years of experience; former prosecutor, magistrate, child support attorney

My question is this I live in Indiana. Is it legal to spank

My question is this:
I live in Indiana. Is it legal to spank my child's bare butt with my hand, leaving no marks, or do their britches need to be up? It was brought to my attention through conversation with some fellow mothers and we want to know if the laws have changed. In Monroe county, IN it has been known a butt-whooping is allowable as long as it with your hand and no marks (whelps or bruises) result. Now, someone said, it supposedly illegal to give a BARE butt-whooping. Is this true?

Thanks for your question.

Indiana law does not prohibit "reasonable corporal punishment" from being used to discipline a child. The law does not distinguish between spanking a child with its pants down or its pants up. The issue is what type of punishment is "reasonable." In my opinion, if a person were to spank a child in such a manner that it left red marks or bruises, that would be unreasonable, and it would be prohibited by law.

Also, the same law applies throughout the state of Indiana. Different counties do not have different laws.

Hope this helps.