Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law

What happens if I turn myself in for a warrant I have in another

What happens if I turn myself in for a warrant I have in another state and they don't extradite me?  Will I still be wanted?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 5 years ago.
if they do not extradite you, the warrant remains, but the state where you were arrested simply releases you. This means simply that the state that issued the warrant did not want to spend the money to come and get you. You should get the matter resolved in the state where the warrant was issued because if you are stopped again you can be arrested again and sit in jail until the state decides they are not going to come to get you. The warrant will not go away.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”