How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Roger Your Own Question

Roger, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 26336
Experience:  Litigation Attorney
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was involved in an hit and run accident. Unfortunately I

Resolved Question:

I was involved in an hit and run accident. Unfortunately I was the one who left the scene and went straight to the police station. I was in court todayand all I got was a $239.00
fine. No points and no license suspension. The lady I hit had some minor front bumper damage, asked for an ambulance and than refuses it. She came to court today with a giant leg brace to her knee and one arm bandaged, plus a walker. She did not like the results of the decision and felt I should not be able to drive any more, and then stated to my lawyer that she is sueing me for pain and suffering. I need help. Do I wait until I get served or do I get legal defense at once. P.S. The accident occurred on Jan 13th,2011. Can they take possession of my home, car , bank accounts etc. Thank you for your reply.
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Roger replied 3 years ago.

Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a litigation attorney here to assist you.


There's no need to do anything until you get sued, and when that happens, you need to turn in the claim to your insurance company.


If she does sue, your insurance company should be responsible for any amount awarded to her (within policy limits). No attorney seeks to collect more than policy limits because funds aren't guaranteed above that amount because the indivudual - not the insurance company - is responsible for that amount, and most people don't have lien-free property to pay any judgment.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

sorry, but I do not understand when you said that the individual not the insurance company is responsible for that amount. What amount? Also What do you mean that most people do not have lien-free property to pay any judgement. Thank you again

Expert:  Roger replied 3 years ago.

Sorry if I confused you.....


If you are sued and a judgment is entered against you, the insurance company must pay the judgment up to the amount of policy limits. In the event that a judgment was entered above your policy limits, you would be responsible for that amount. However, during my practice, I have never seen a plaintiff's lawyer seek more than the amount of the policy limits.


Most things people have with any value are usually mortgaged or have liens against them - like a house, car, boat, real estate, etc. This makes collecting diffcult - if not impossible. Also, there are property exemptions that protect certain property from judgment creditors, which makes it even more difficult for a creditor to collect from the individual. Here are the exemptions for NJ:

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank you so much for your help. one more question, if the insurance company pays, who reimburses tthe insurance co?As an example my insurance co pays them $50,000 and they sue for more, am I then responsible for more money out of pocket? And what if the injuries are made up and have nothing to do with the accident? What Then? Is there a time limit on this matter. I tought it was 90 days from the date of the accident. Obviously it was more then one question. (hee) Once again, are you sure that I should not consult with a civil lawyer first.


Thanks so much Kirk, I know I probably sound stupid, but in this one instance I am just at a loss as to what to do. Can they take away my social securit disability benefits.

Expert:  Roger replied 3 years ago.

No one reimburses your insurance company - you pay premiums for coverage, and they cover you (this isn't like a bond where the principal has to reimburse the bonding company if it pays out a claim - insurance is different).


Your insurance company will pay/cover you up to the amount of your policy limits. I would not worry about having to pay anything out of pocket over this - your insurance should be adequate to cover any claim. If what you said is true, it doesn't sound like she was injured very bad, and she will have to prove that her injuries and condition was caused by the accident (this will take a doctor to establish). If she can't establish these injuries are related to the accident, she can't sue you over it.


The woman has up to 2 years from the date of the accident to sue under New Jersey law.


You can consult a lawyer, but if you're sued, the insurance company is going to provide you an attorney as part of your defense - your premium pays for this as well.


Your SS benefits are not available to the creditor - they are exempt from any collection.





Roger, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 26336
Experience: Litigation Attorney
Roger and 15 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Last | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan

Meet The Experts:

  • Tina


    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
< Last | Next >
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • FiveStarLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years of experience helping people like you.
  • JPEsq's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experience as general attorney, in house counsel, SSDI, Family Law attorney, and law professor
  • Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.'s Avatar

    Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    7+ years of experience handling various legal matters.
  • Law Educator, Esq.'s Avatar

    Law Educator, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.

Related Legal Questions