Roger, Attorney
Experience:  Litigation Attorney

I am trying to find out if I have grounds for legal action.

I am trying to find out if I have grounds for legal action. Last year I had an ectopic pregnancy and when I saw the doctor a few days after having an ultrasound that showed no signs of pregnancy in my uterus, (the appt was on a monday) she initially said I should have another ultrasound on Friday but then changed her mind because "Friday would be a horrible time to identify an ectopic" So, my ultrasound was scheduled for Monday of the next week. Incidentally, I ended up in the Emergency room that Friday night because my tube had ruptured and I lost a fallopian tube. I honestly feel like this could have been prevented if the doctor would have been concerned about finding out exactly what the problem was instead of putting me off. What do you think?
Expert:  Roger replied 3 years ago.

Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX X'm a litigation attorney here to assist you.

In order to have a case, you would have to be able to prove that a sonogram would have shown the impending rupture and that treatment Friday would have prevented the rupture from occurring.

If you can prove this, you could sue for medical negligence. The first thing you would need to do is speak to a medical malpractice attorney and have him/her get a doctor to review your records and see whether or not the outcome would have been different had you received treatment earlier.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
So, what you are saying is that I would have to prove that if I had had an ultrasound sometime before that Friday night it would have shown the ectopic in my tube and they could have treated me another way that would have prevented the rupture?

That's pretty simple...and I think that could be proven.

Expert:  Roger replied 3 years ago.

Yes, you would have to be able to prove that had you received treatment Friday, the rupture would have been prevented.

Roger, Attorney
Experience: Litigation Attorney