Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters

I hired a maid service to give a top-to-bottom, thorough cleaning

I hired a maid service to give a top-to-bottom, thorough cleaning to my mother's home while she was in the hospital. The service did a lot of good cleaning, but damaged the wood flooring in several areas with water marks, due to wet water buckets being set on the floors. What should we demand of the maid service? Repair just the areas damaged (about 10% of the total wood flooring) and risk that it will look patched, or re-do the entire floor? The repairs will take 4-7 days, and the breakfast area, den, and study will be sealed off. I'll have to move all the books and antiques out, because we don't trust anyone else not to break them (they'll move the heavy furniture, though). We're about to meet with the maid service franchise owner -- what should I expect of her and her insurance?

Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a litigation attorney here to assist you.

If repairs can be made just to the problem areas, that's all you should expect them to offer in terms on money to pay for repairs. If that's not acceptable to you, your only option will be to sue the company for the damage and demand a complete replacement of the flooring.

An insurance company is always going to want to settle as cheaply as possible, so I would recommend that you have a flooring contractor give you an estimate of what it would cost to sand and re-stain the areas so you'll know what cost you're looking at.