Jane Doe Deer
Jane Doe Deer, Attorney
Experience:  Atty. since 1986; Plain English answers to family law, employment, landlord-tenant, & other questions

If my domestic partner has been given my power of attorney

If my domestic partner has been given my "power of attorney" (with my permission), can she be sued or otherwise discomfited by someone else, or is she immune from any issues I may have created?

Thank you for contacting Just Answer.

Answer: Your Attorney in Fact (AIF) (the person with the power under a Power of Attorney (POA) is immune from suit for your problems, assuming that you have neither a marriage nor a civil commitment recorded. An AIF just has the powers you've given to her (usually for such things as signing papers when you're away or disabled).

I'm happy to answer follow-up questions. If you have none, please

"ACCEPT" my answer.

There can sometimes be a delay of an hour or more in between my followup answers because I may be helping other customers, conducting legal research, or taking a break. If we're writing late in the evening, I may need to get some sleep and resume helping you the following morning.

Bonuses of even a dollar are much appreciated and help support this site.

I REALLY appreciate FEEDBACK so that I can continuously improve!

All my best,

Jane Doe Deer