Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters

I have been caring for three now four of my god children most

I have been caring for three now four of my god children most of their lives. They are 5, 3, 2 and 6 months. The mother is 19 and is unable to care for them. They have lived with me for 3 years now. The mother is homeless. They have different fathers. 2 fathers are incarcerated. (Murder and Grand Theft and Attempted Murder) The other is in and out of jail (Drug Related Charges)and his whereabouts are unknown. They have NEVER been involved in the children's lives since birth.

The mother has no family that can care for them. The mother wishes that I keep them permanently because she unable to care for them emotionally, physically or financially.

I need to know the proper affidavits to file to make this long term and permanent. I do allow the mother and other family members to see them from time to time. The mother has signed a Temporary Custody/Guardianship with me. It has been notarized.

What can I do at this time to make this situation permanent? They need stability and permanency.

Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a litigation attorney here to assist you.

You will have to file a petition for guardianship/conservatorship of the children with the family law court of your county. If the mother consents to your petition, this should be mostly a formality to get this done.

Once you file a petition, the mother can sign a joinder in the petition supporting the relief you request. The coulr should then give you an order granting guardianship and conservatorship over the child.

I would recommend that you hire a local family law attorney to file the petition on your behalf and get your a court order granting you guardianship. Once you have this, you will have all rights to the children.