Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

How do I begin legal proceeding to collect unpaid rent/fees

How do I begin legal proceeding to collect unpaid rent/fees from former tenant? do I need an attorney? Tenant moved out prior to end of lease owing several months rent, late fees, etc. after we tried working with them for months. They have not responded to collection letters or offers for payment arrangements. Also, property is in another county (about 2 hours away) can we take them to court in our county or does it have to be where the property is?

Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a litigation attorney here to assist you.

If your claim is $7500 or less, you will have to file a suit in county court-small claims division against the former tenant in the county where the property is located.

You can file suit on your own without an attorney.