How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tina Your Own Question
Tina, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 33166
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Tina is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband has not been in my home for a few weeks,I am cnsidering

This answer was rated:

My husband has not been in my home for a few weeks,I am cnsidering seperation or divorce.However we have a minor together i know its not fair to keep him away from him,and have been visiting him on a daily basis,as time has gone on i can hear the fustration in his voice .He wants to take him out by himself and i am petrified he wont give him back or maybe even try to leave the state,what are your recommened?

I am sorry to hear of your difficult situation and am working on your answer.

CT has fault and no-fault grounds for divorce.

Since you are concerned your spouse will not return your child following visitation, it is typically best to file for divorce or legal separation and obtain an order that neither parent may move out of state without permission from the other or consent of the court.

There is no other way to limit your spouse's behavior since both parents usually have the right to move out of state with the child absent a court order.

All the best to you.



Please press the ACCEPT button so I may be credited and paid for my time by Positive feedback and a BONUS are always appreciated.

NOTE: The law sometimes does not provide the answer we hoped it would. Please consider that I devote time to providing answers whether it benefits you or not and hope you don’t choose to shoot the messenger.

As always, I am available to clarify the answers for you. Thank you and the best of luck.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
could i have him sign and notarize a letter stating just what was said in our own words,untill court or should i just act like a lion protecting her cub and not see him at all?
Such an "informal" agreement would not be enforceable by the police or the court's contempt power typically. While it would be strong evidence of the parties intent, your husband could not normally be jailed if he violates the agreement as he could be if it involved a court order.

It just doesn't provide the protection you appear to be looking for, but would be better than nothing.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
so basically what your saying is ...stay away if i feel he is considering this?without legal seperation or divorce he can do what he wants with him?
I personally would not permit visitation if I had this concern since it is typically much harder to undo the damage if he does decide not to return your child to you and even worse if he moves out of state.

It's just not worth the risk usually.

All the best to you!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Last question.. i promise,how about if i stay with them ?If he forces and bullies me i could call 911,would that work?just a thought.I thank you for your time and appreciate your prompt response.Do you mind if i ask where you are located?This is just such a difficult situation.
I am licensed in several states but not CT.

If you are with them during visitation, that is normally a very good compromise and something I would agree to since the police can be called if there is a dispute.

At a minimum, your spouse would have a very difficult time absconding with your child if you are also present.

Good luck to you and your family!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you again for your time and take care!
You are VERY welcome!

Please remember to press "accept" so I will be paid. I thank you much!
Tina, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 33166
Experience: JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
Tina and 13 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan

Meet The Experts:

  • Tina



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
< Last | Next >
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • JPEsq's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experience as general attorney, in house counsel, SSDI, Family Law attorney, and law professor
  • Law Educator, Esq.'s Avatar

    Law Educator, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
  • FiveStarLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years of experience helping people like you.
  • Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.'s Avatar

    Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    7+ years of experience handling various legal matters.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.