How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask John Legal Your Own Question
John Legal
John Legal, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4631
Experience:  Over 15 years legal experience.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
John Legal is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I loaned money to my ex-fiance April 7th 2008. It was a lot

Customer Question

I loaned money to my ex-fiance April 7th 2008. It was a lot of money, 11,200.00. He was sending me payments periodically. He lives in Las Vegas, and I moved there for a short time until I hurt myself in the pool. I am begging him for payments, and in the almost 3 years since I lent the money , I have received 5,000. I live in NY and wish I never did this. The only things I have are emails concerning the loan. There was never anything signed, as I trusted him to pay me . Please let me know what I can do, how much should I charge him for interest and I can't afford a lawyer. Pam
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  John Legal replied 6 years ago.
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I was hoping to get all the money plus interest... I guess i will have to keep pursuing it on my own. He won't show up for court anyway....
Expert:  John Legal replied 6 years ago.
If he does not show up you win automatically. If you want all you money plus interest you will need to file in civil court in your county. It is much more difficult and expensive to file a civil suit. If it were me I would at least file in small claims and get a judgment against him for the $5,000. You can then use that to collect from his bank account and possibly is wages from work.