INFOLAWYER, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses
11313492

We filled out an application for a rental, we were approved.

We filled out an application for a rental, we were approved. Gave a down payment to hold the property to take it off the market. The landlord told us he just needed to have the place cleaned and we could move in. After two weeks of no phone calls he finally set a date to meet us at the property to sign the lease. We waited in the driveway for a half hour before calling him to find out he was over an hour away. After being frustrated for nearly three weeks we started looking again for a property and found one we were approved on it. The landlord called us back today saying he will now charge us a daily rate until the place is rented. What are our options?
Expert:  INFOLAWYER replied 6 years ago.
Hello, I am legal expert at Justanswer and I will be helping you with your question today.

You did not sign a lease and from what you mentioned he did not act reasonably or promptly giving every right to look for another premises.

Not only can he not charge you until rented, which can only be done if you signed a lease, but you can demand and then sue to recover your deposit plus costs.

I trust the information is fast and direct. If I can clarify anything, let me know.

When ready, Please click ACCEPT so I can get credit for your answer.

Leaving a Bonus and Positive Feedback is not required but very much appreciated.

Have a great week!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Your answer was very clear I just want to make sure to clarify giving me a receipt for the deposit is not a binding legal agreement correct.
It is not. You did not sign a lease and lets say you did, which you did not, he failed to keep his end by his delay and unprofessional conduct. I trust the information is fast and direct. If I can clarify anything, let me know.

Have a great week!