Joseph
Joseph, Attorney
Experience:  I have 15 years experience in the legal field, currently specializing in criminal and family law
18539850

I was in a long distance relationship for over 4 years. He

I was in a long distance relationship for over 4 years. He unexpectedly died in November 2010. We have talked about if anything should happen to either one of us that the other would be taken care of. I even included him on my life insurance policy. We exchanged a lot of personal information over the years, except I didn't want to talk about his policy info because he was much older than me. I don't have a clue as how to inquire about his insurance or anything that he may have left for me. He has 1 surviving son, his oldest son died in Oct,2010. His son and I are on ok terms, not ok enough to ask about anything financial. It would be a total shock if he didn't have insurance, yet alone left me nothing. We have shared so much over the years and I have been shut out of everything and anything regarding him. Is, there any legal action I can take? He was in the navy, I called and was told he had no veterans insurance.

If he had an estate to be disbursed, it would need to go through probate court. As such, you should check with the clerk of the court in the county in which he died, this is where the probate would occur. They would be able to look up his name to see if a case exists. If one does, you would simply contact the attorney handling the administration of the estate to ascertain whether you are listed as a beneficiary of the estate.

I hope you found my answer helpful. If so, please click on the green ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Even if you are a subscription member, you will need to click ACCEPT. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated! Thank you and good luck!

Also, several customers have asked how they may direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to assist you in your legal matter, just put "FOR JOSEPH" in the subject line and I will gladly pick up the question as soon as I am on-line.