Daniel Solutions
Daniel Solutions, Lawyer (JD)
Experience:  Practing General Attorney,
5180018

Child care in my condo being rented

I am renting my condo to a friend (his family) in the state of Virginia. There is no lease, just a verbal agreement. <br />He told me that his wife wants to start a small childcare business. Am I liable if anything happens?
Expert:  Daniel Solutions replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for allowing us to assist you with this problem. I am not fully aware of what prior steps you have taken.

Yes, as the property owner you can be held liable for harm caused to the children by the structure such as lead paint, broken stairs, unlevel side walk, etc.

You would not be liable for harm caused to the children by workers such as neglect, losing a child, etc...

If you do allow such a situation you should make sure that the tenants take out sufficient insurance to cover such a law suit and also that you write a lease specifically holding them liable for harm resulting from not providing you notice of property defects and known hazard in an attempt to limit your liability.

You should have an attorney draft a very detailed rental agreement/lease to protect youself.