Joseph
Joseph, Attorney
Experience:  I have 15 years experience in the legal field, currently specializing in criminal and family law
18539850

Hello, I am being sued for libel/defamation by a Board of Director

Hello, I am being sued for libel/defamation by a Board of Director member of my local youth football organization for sending out emails warning other parents about his "lack of integrity" and his "self-promoting" attitude. Now I have evidence and witnesses which will back this up and I this was done in an effort to push an electoral agenga. This individual is well known business leader (does this offer me 1st amendement protection) and one of the emails he obtained was a personal email addressed to another board member. What are my options here?
Expert:  Joseph replied 3 years ago.

Hello and thanks for choosing Just Answer®. I am a licensed attorney, and I will be glad to try and assist you.

To provide you with accurate information, could you please clarify these points so I can best address your inquiry:

• "What are my options" is rather broad, could you be a bit more specific as to what information you are seeking here?

Once I hear back from you, I will be glad to let you know my answer. There may be some delay as I am assisting other customers or am away from my computer. Please rest assured, however, that I will get back to you as soon as possible.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have been served a writ of summons. Do I retain a lawyer? Is the law already on my side? I believe that I have done nothing wrong here.
Expert:  Joseph replied 3 years ago.

I have been served a writ of summons. Do I retain a lawyer?

• You need to respond to the summons and, of course, the easiest way to do so would be to retain an attorney. A competent civil litigation attorney would understand the relevant laws, know the appropriate procedure and help you properly navigate the system. Most importantly, an attorney could help ensure the best possible result.

Is the law already on my side? I believe that I have done nothing wrong here.

• Based on the information that you've presented, I would be inclined to agree. As you probably know, libel is defined as the making of a statement that the person knows or should know to be false. The statements you made are not necessarily factual in nature, rather they are more along the lines of an opinion. From what you've stated so far, there would seem to be little to support a lawsuit here.

Please let me know if anything requires clarification.

Also, several customers have asked how they may direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to assist you in your legal matter, just put "FOR JOSEPH" in the subject line and I will gladly pick up the question as soon as I am on-line.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Could these statements in the context of the email where I state that he "lacks integrity" and is the "biggest self-promoter I know" be considered, in your opinion, or in the opinion of any competent court, be considered libelous are defamatory?
Expert:  Joseph replied 3 years ago.

Please understand there are exceedingly few black and white issues in the law, rather most situations are shades of gray. With that in mind, my speculation is that these statements do not arise to the level of libel. I say this as the statements were made as opinion, not fact, as I detailed above, the email was apparently sent to an individual and there doesn't appear to have been any quantifiable harm as a result of the statements.

Joseph, Attorney
Experience: I have 15 years experience in the legal field, currently specializing in criminal and family law