Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer (JD)
Experience:  25 years experience in general law, including real estate, criminal, traffic, and domestic relations
3396227

How do I file papers to sue someone in small claims court

How do I file papers to sue someone in small claims court? I live in Des Moines, IA, I paid a "mechanic" to fix my car. He stated what was wrong with my car and I was told he can fix it. 2 weeks and $480.00 later my car is in the same condition it was in before. I later paid for it to be fixed by someone else, 6 weeks later.

Dear JACUSTOMER - Small claims courts are designed for the public to be used without the need for an attorney. You can simply go to your local small claims court and they should have the necessary forms for you to fill out to file your suit. The filing fees are usually quite low, somewhere around $25-50 and the rules of evidence are not strict as in the general court system.

So you should not have any problem filing your suit and telling your story to the court.

Dave Kennett