INFOLAWYER, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses

Would states other than Oklahoma make a woman pay child support

Customer Question

Would states other than Oklahoma make a woman pay child support that was a custodial parent and now is the noncustodial parent? Is that common?
Expert:  INFOLAWYER replied 3 years ago.

INFOLAWYER :

Hello, I am legal expert at Justanswer and I will be helping you with your question today.

INFOLAWYER :

Typically the custodial payment is not made to pay support unless there mains a disparity in finances between the parents mandating such support

INFOLAWYER :

I trust the information is fast and direct. If I can clarify anything, let me know.

When ready, Please click ACCEPT so I can get credit for your answer.

Leaving a Bonus and Positive Feedback is not required but very much appreciated.

Have a great week!

Customer:

I am not the custodial parent anymore, but wouldn't a judge look at the fact that I was the custodial parent, and the situation got turned around by the other lawyer so that I am the noncustodial parent? I am just amazed that this has happened -

INFOLAWYER :

The court will look at it and often will adjust the terms of custody and support

INFOLAWYER :

It is an area of law with frequent modifications

Customer:

If my ex-husband has primary custody of my son is he actually considered the custodial parent or is that another term?

Customer:

I am still in joint custody, but my ex-husband has more custody of my son than I have, but before I had more custody of him. Is my ex-husband still considered the custodial parent automatically?

INFOLAWYER :

He would be the custodial parent

INFOLAWYER :

if he resides with him

INFOLAWYER :

if you share living arrangements as in half a week each

INFOLAWYER :

then it is shared

Customer:

Does that mean the schools should send him records from school instead of me? I have been the one they have sent everything to. My ex-husband wanted the child suppor in revenge, and bribed my son - He has not wanted to share him equally with me.

INFOLAWYER :

Typically they send it to the custodial

INFOLAWYER :

but it is common to demand it be sent to both and a court can order it

INFOLAWYER :

especially if one is not sharing information with the other

Customer:

Wow - Is there any rights towards the noncustodial having communication? My ex-husband typically doesn't communicate with me and his wife and him don't want me to know things.

Customer:

Also, one last thing, if I have a mildly autistic son who is 18 living with his father and his father, won't share any information about him with me or let him talk to me, do I have any rights as a parent? I have typically been in charge of helping, him, too, and his dad isn't helping right now.

INFOLAWYER :

You have rights to be informed and involved

INFOLAWYER :

and if this is not happening you can petition the court for such relief

INFOLAWYER :

Have a great week!

Customer:

Can I petition the court if the son is 18? I had heard that there was nothing I could do.

INFOLAWYER :

If a minor it becomes harder

INFOLAWYER :

often it can be mediated if both sides consent

Customer:

Thanks!

INFOLAWYER :

or if he lacks capacity or has a guardian

INFOLAWYER, Attorney
Experience: Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses