Richard, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with 29 years of experience.

I bought a new car for a friend almost 1 year ago, having made

I bought a new car for a friend almost 1 year ago, having made a verbal agreement with her to keep it insured and make $320/month payments. She made some payments but i haven't received one since November 2010. She never got the car insured.

Is it legal for me to just go get the car? Am I obliged to send written notice beforehand or is there any other such steps I have to take before repossessing the vehicle?

I want to avoid being sued for pain and suffering, loss of wages or whatever else she might dream up.

The car is in my name and registered in the state of Texas.
Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.
Good evening. A couple of questions...i) whose name is XXXXX XXXXX in? and ii) do you have a security interest in the car to secure your note? Thanks.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The title is in my husband's and my name. It is financed through Toyota, billed to us, and we are making the monthly payments.

Her name is XXXXX XXXXX anything.

Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.

Thank you. Then, as long as you don't break and enter or disturb the peace, you are legally entitled to go get the car.

I hope this has given you the guidance you were seeking. I wish you the best of luck!

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

The information given here is not legal advice. As all states have different intricacies in their laws, the information given is general only. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

what about her personal property that's in the car? Do i have to leave a note saying she can come pick it up?

Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.
Yes, she is entitled to her personal you do need to let her know where and when she can get it. You're welcome. :)