How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask FloridaLawyer Your Own Question
FloridaLawyer, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 741
Experience:  Former State Prosecutor, criminal defense, family law, real estate, & civil litigation
Type Your Legal Question Here...
FloridaLawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds


Customer Question

Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  FloridaLawyer replied 5 years ago.

Hello JA Customer,


I am an expert here at Just Answer and I would be happy to answer your question.


1) You need a copy of the final order of the conviction you

wish to have sealed. Contact the Clerk of the Court in

which you were convicted. Remember your case was

"criminal," so be sure to go to the appropriate part of the

Clerk's office. Request a certified copy of the Judgment


Order of Conviction(s). You will need to give the Clerk your case

number. If you do not have the number, ask the Clerk to use the

computer to look it up. For a small fee (one or two dollars), the Clerk

will give you a certified copy. Make sure it is certified (stamped with

court seal).

2) Fill in the blanks on the two forms: (a) "Application for Sealing of a Criminal Record Pursuant to ORC §2953.32"; and (b) "Judgment Entry for Sealing." To help you fill out

the forms correctly, follow the instructions provided for each form.

4) To apply to have your record sealed, you will have to

pay $50 to the Court. If you cannot pay the fee, fill out

the form called "Poverty Affidavit." When completing

this form, follow the instruction provided. If you do not

complete this form, be prepared to pay the $50 fee.

5) After the forms are filled out, attach the "Judgment Order of

Conviction" to the "Application for Sealing of a Criminal Record."

Make three copies of everything. Take the original and the three

copies of the "Application for Sealing of a Criminal Record" and the

"Poverty Affidavit" or the $50 fee to the Clerk of Courts in the

Court where you were convicted. (Do NOT file the "Judgment

Entry"-bring this completed form with you to the hearing. If you

are successful at the hearing, the Judge will sign it.) Tell the Clerk that

you would like to file your documents. The Clerk will take all copies,

stamp them, and give one copy back to you. KEEP THIS COPY!

You will need it later.

6) The Court will set your case for a hearing. You will

be notified by mail of the date set for the hearing.

Mark the date on your calendar and don't forget

about it.

7) Before the hearing date, prepare what you will say to the Judge. You

must convince the Judge that you are no longer someone who

would commit a crime (you have been rehabilitated). Explain that

you are sorry for what you did and explain how you have

changed since that time. For example, if you were using drugs

and alcohol at the time when you committed the crime and have

since gone sober, tell this to the Judge. If you have seen a

psychiatrist since your conviction, tell the Judge.


8) On the day of your hearing, show up at the Court on time and dressed

neatly and cleanly. Be respectful and courteous to the Judge and

Prosecutor. The Bailiff will call your name and ask you to present your

case. Tell the Judge that you want to have your criminal record sealed,

explain the charges you wish to erase from your record and that the

proper time has passed. Explain to the Judge that you have been

rehabilitated and why it is important to have your record sealed. The

Prosecutor will be given the chance to object to your request.

9) The Judge must make a decision weighing your interests in having the

records sealed against the government's need to keep these

records. The Judge may give a decision in Court or take time to

think about the case and make a decision later. If no decision is

made in Court, a copy of the decision will be mailed to you.Make sure the Court has your current address!


Here is a great handbook that contains the information provided above, as well as the forms you will need:



I hope this helps, best of luck!


If I have answered your question, please click accept so that I can earn credit for my answer.


Legal Disclaimer: The answer provided herein is for informational purposes only and should not be considered legal advice. The information, research and opinions set forth above are limited to the facts presented in the question and no guarantee is made regarding the adequacy or accuracy of the answer. The answer provided does not infer or imply the establishment or acceptance of any attorney-client relationship. No claim is made that I am licensed to practice law in the state or jurisdiction where this information is being provided and you should always seek legal counsel admitted to practice in your local jurisdiction for representation and advice on any legal matter.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan

Meet The Experts:

  • Tina



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
< Last | Next >
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • JPEsq's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experience as general attorney, in house counsel, SSDI, Family Law attorney, and law professor
  • Law Educator, Esq.'s Avatar

    Law Educator, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
  • FiveStarLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years of experience helping people like you.
  • Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.'s Avatar

    Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    7+ years of experience handling various legal matters.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.