Legalease, Lawyer
Experience:  15 years exp all aspects of general law

If you were still married when you remarried, was it legal

Customer Question

<p>If you were still married when you remarried, was it legal and do you have to get a divorce from the second person. Especially being you didn't know you were still married at the time.</p><p>Please cancel this as I don't want to pay $38.00  Thank you</p>
Expert:  Legalease replied 5 years ago.

Unfortunately, if you remarried while you were still married to someone else, the second marriage is not legal. My suggestion is to try social security records to see if he may be deceased (if he passed away before your second marriage then you are fine -- if he has since passed away and you re-marry the second man again you will still be okay). However, if you are unable to find any concrete death records on the first husband, then you should visit an attorney, because you CAN divorce him without his being present for the hearings. Service can be made through advertisement in the local newspapers and if he doesn't respond to the advertisements a judge can grant a divorce by default and you can get on with your life.

Please press the GREEN ACCEPT BUTTON so I will be paid for my time.