MShore, Attorney
Experience:  Negotiate, Draft, and Review many complex commercial agreements each year.

I have a court day tomorrow. I received a ticket for an expired

I have a court day tomorrow. I received a ticket for an expired registration. It's only 30 days expired and I'm up to date with the payments so i'm thinking I must have just thrown away the New registration card by mistake. So my question is this. Should I plea not guilty then tomorrow get it cleared up at the dmv? also how long until it becomes suspended?
Expert:  MShore replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for the post, I am happy to assist you by answering your questions. Yes, you should explain to the judge tomorrow that you are current with your registration and if possible provide proof of the same by completing an online request for a replacement registration card here: You would bring a copy of the proof that you have requested a replacement registration. Please let me know if you have any follow up questions.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok thank you. Maybe there was a little misunderstanding. I probably didn't write it right. Tomorrow is just the plea not the actual trial. So I should just plead not guilty then get the replacement right? sorry if it's confusing
Expert:  MShore replied 5 years ago.
Yes, that is correct. You just plead not guilty then get the replacement. It is likely that the entire matter would be resolved tomorrow because it is such a minor infraction. The penalties for a violation of this NY law can be punishable by a fine of not less than $40 nor more than $300 or by imprisonment for not more than 15 days or both (imprisonment is very, very unlikely). The judge is likely to just issue a modest fine.