FloridaLawyer
FloridaLawyer, Attorney
Experience:  Former State Prosecutor, criminal defense, family law, real estate, & civil litigation

I am interested in finding the dollar value estimate of my

I am interested in finding the dollar value estimate of my claim for a head on collision with the other driver being found at fault totally. I was transported to the emergency room by ambulance. My x rays showed no broken bones. My chest was burned severely by the seat belt which from the 60 mph blow bruised all of my chest, rib cage, shoulders, neck and back. I have had 6 weeks of physical therapy ordered by an MD with only a 50% improvement and a current 30% disability of neck usage as noted on the physical therapy final form. I have sever back and neck pains an take muscle relaxers, pain pills for my neck and head ache. Today I have gotten an order from the MD for massage treatments to see if my back muscles and neck muscles can be be relieved of the tension. I have been given a Empi TENS device by the Physical Therapy Unit paid for by the auto insurance company and using it every day is a great help after I roll myself out of bed. The back pains are major in the morning. I am 63 years old and still working as a welding inspector. My job requires me to be able to lift 50 to 60 pounds as a normal requirement for the job. Other that this back and neck injury I am in very good physical condition. I have had some neck problem before the accident and a small amout of arthritis in a neck joint. However, I have never had this kind of pain and strain in my back and neck and I believe this is a permanent injury that I will have to contend with for my course of life. Thank you for any assistance.
Expert:  FloridaLawyer replied 3 years ago.

Hello JA Customer,

I am an expert here at Just Answer and I would be happy to answer your question.

I am very sorry to hear about your injuries and I wish you the best in your recovery. It is very, very difficult to put a dollar figure on your injuries but here are a few things to consider.

1. The extent of your permanent injuries. These will be determined once your doctor's have concluded that you will no longer benefit from continued treatment. At the end of your treatment plan, the doctor(s) will issue a statement regarding your maximum medical improvement (MMI). To reach MMI a person has to treat with their doctor long enough so the doctor can diagnose all of the injuries, determine whether the injuries are permanent, and if so, determine any future health care needs. Sometimes a person is at MMI very quickly. For example this can occur in a couple of months after breaking bones. On the other hand, with a back injury it can take six months or more. With head injuries a person may not reach MMI for a year or two.
  2. The type and coverage amounts of the tortfeasor's (at fault driver's) insurance coverage and whether the Defendant can be sued individual.
  3. Whether or not you will be able to perform your job after MMI is reached, and what other damages you, or your spouse or significant other may suffer, such as loss of consortium.

I would suggest that you contact a personal injury attorney licensed to practice in your local jurisdiction. Many attorney's offer free consultations and charge contingency fees meaning there will not be any up-front fees or costs to you and you won't be charged anything unless there is a recovery for you.

I hope this helps, best of luck!

If I have answered your question, please click accept so that I can earn credit for my answer.

Legal Disclaimer: The answer provided herein is for informational purposes only and should not be considered legal advice. The information, research and opinions set forth above are limited to the facts presented in the question and no guarantee is made regarding the adequacy or accuracy of the answer. The answer provided does not infer or imply the establishment or acceptance of any attorney-client relationship. No claim is made that I am licensed to practice law in the state or jurisdiction where this information is being provided and you should always seek legal counsel admitted to practice in your local jurisdiction for representation and advice on any legal matter.

FloridaLawyer, Attorney
Experience: Former State Prosecutor, criminal defense, family law, real estate, & civil litigation
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
This still does not answer my question. I was interested in a hypothetical range of dollar amout to decide if contacting a personal injury lawyer would be worthwile.

The hypothetical range would be $10,000 to $20,000 with a low impairment rating and the ability to return to work without restrictions. The range would increase from there to $50,000 or $100,000 with some fairly significant permanent impairment of motor function or inability to perform at least some your job duties.

If your MMI is 30% (70% disabled), or more and you can never return to your former job duties, you have constant pain and the defendant is a commercial carrier with a multi-million dollar policy, you could seek $200,000, $300,000 or even more, based on your current salary and how many years you could have continued working.

Hopefully that helps give you an idea.

Thanks again,