Daniel Solutions
Daniel Solutions, Lawyer (JD)
Experience:  Practing General Attorney,

my girlfriend got caught up in a scam with counterfeit money orders worth $6000. the

my girlfriend got caught up in a scam with counterfeit money orders worth $6000. the bank wants her to pay the money back. she doesnt even have a job. the bank teller should have caught the counterfeit money order and not cashed it. she didnt have enough money in her account to cover the money order. is jail time a possibility. i feel that she has some liability, but also is a victim.
Expert:  Daniel Solutions replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for allowing us to assist you with this problem. I am not fully aware of what prior steps you have taken.

Yes the bank teller should have caugh the problem but that is not a legal defense to what your girlfriend did or did not do.

Did your girlfriend know the money orders were fake?
Does she has any prior arrests?
Who did she get the money orders from of did she make them herself?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
no prior criminal, caught up in internet scam that she thought was a secret shopper job. she sent the money to some place in florida via her getting another money order and sending it under her name. the gentleman that was contacting her has a foreign accent, maybe nigerian. she didnt know that they were fake. she wants to pay some back, but is she fully responsible. if she offered a less amount, would they settle. just curious of my options and if jailtime is a possiblitly
Im really sorry as it sounds like she was a victime. Banks as a general practice dont settle for a lesser amount. They may allow her to make payments but the amount would have to be quickly repaid and in large payments. If she can not pay they can sue her for the full amount. They can attempt to file criminal changes but would have to prove she knew or basically should have know such a situation was criminal. Since she has no record if she took a plea she would probably receive probation and ordered to pay back the full amount.
Daniel Solutions, Lawyer (JD)
Experience: Practing General Attorney,