Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer (JD)
Experience:  25 years experience in general law, including real estate, criminal, traffic, and domestic relations
3396227

I am interested in an asset search of an individual

Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 6 years ago.

HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

-Has a lawsuit been filed or is there a court judgment filed?

What is the purpose of the search?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No lawsuit has been filed yet.

He is an unlicensed contractor in Sanbernardino Co. CA and also has my brother in law as an "employee" but is not covered for workers comp.

I am worried if something happens my brother will get screwed.

Dear JACUSTOMER - There's only a limited amount of "searching" you can do into someone's private assets since no one is obligated to reveal their personal information. You would have no way to know of bank accounts or other non public assets. You can check the local county real estate records to see if the person owns real estate and it will also show if it is mortgaged but I know of no way to find the quantity of his other holdings.

My suggestion would be to contact the state employment commission and report him for not carrying workers compensation. This would be against the law. Also he could be reported for operating without a license. Of course the problem may be that he would be forced out of business resulting in the loss of your brother's employment.

You will have to decide which is the most important and you may want to consult your brother in law before acting on his behalf.

Dave Kennett

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
how would I find the local real estate information?

All real estate is recorded in the local county offices, generally the auditor or recorder. You can usually search by the name of the owner or the address. Every county has their own real estate records and many times this is posted on line at the county website. It just depends on the county as to whether they have come into the age of the internet!

Dave