Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.

I did not get a job because of a bad background check. Can

I did not get a job because of a bad background check. Can i sue the background check company.
Expert:  Ely replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. Please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

What did the background check agency provide that was untrue?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The check came back with about 10 felonies on it. I don't have any felonies.
Expert:  Ely replied 5 years ago.
Ah, thank you.

Yes, in this case, you may. This is called defamation, and is actionable. The elements of defamation include: (1) a false and defamatory

statement concerning another; (2) an unprivileged publication to a third party; (3) fault on the part of the publisher; and (4) either actionability of the statement irrespective of special harm or the existence of special harm caused by the publication. See Restatement § 558 and Holtzscheiter v. Thomson Newspapers, Inc., 411 SE2d 664, 666 (SC 1991.

Even more so, allegations of criminality are defamation per se, in which case, you do not even have to prove damages, they are understood.

You do have a good suit here.

I hope you found my answer helpful, and if so please click on the ACCEPT button. This is the only way for me to get credit for my work; I receive no credit for my time with you unless you press ACCEPT.

If you still need to clarify something or seek more information, just use the INFO button and I’d be more than happy to follow up to your satisfaction! There is no fee for follow up questions before or after an accept, should you wish to continue in the thread, and I encourage you to do so should you need clarification!

While the legal system tries to be inclusive of every possibility, sometimes, people are morally wronged but have limited legal avenues to seek relief. If so, please understand that this is not the expert’s fault, but the way of circumstance.

If you feel that I went an extra step to help, a bonus is always appreciated!

You can always request me for a future advice through my profile at If you do this, make sure to begin the question with “This Question is for Eli…”