Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  15 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

AZ Law - Premarital debt attaching to community property

This is specific to Arizona law... The question is, can my wages be attached for settlement of judgment (premarriage debt attaching to postmarriage wages)? <br /><br />I may be facing a lawsuit brought by my former HOA (Homeowners' Association) for fees that occurred after I abandoned the property and prior to the trustee's sale, which still has not occurred. The property is my sole and separate property. In August 2010 I remarried. <br /><br />I see A.R.S. 25-215(B): B. The community property is liable for the premarital separate debts or other liabilities of a spouse, incurred after September 1, 1973 but only to the extent of the value of that spouse's contribution to the community property which would have been such spouse's separate property if single. <br /><br />Now does that refer to wages that are earned after marriage? or just to the assets that I had prior to the marriage? I had very few assets prior to the remarriage. Thanks, Tony

.

They could only come after community property that you acquired after the marriage to the extent of any separate contribution. So that means if you bought a car together and you each paid for half of it, they creditor could come after only half the value of the car even though it is community property.

.

Wages are considered your separate property until you commingle them with marital funds and they become community property.

.

So the long and short of it is that they can come after your wages if they sue you and get a judgment up to 25 % by garnishing them.

.

.

thanks

.

If I have answered your question, PLEASE CLICK THE GREEN "ACCEPT" button NOW, so that I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are optional and greatly appreciated. Please keep in mind that I don't make the laws, I am just reporting/interpreting them, so the outcome may not be what you had hoped for.

.

There may be a time lag between my replies as I am typically working with several customers at any given time, but rest assured, I will get back with you as soon as I am able.

.

If you need additional clarification on this question, just click "Reply" and I will be happy to help you. Please give me as much detail as you can so that I can respond after receiving all the relevant details.