Maverick
Maverick, Attorney
Experience:  20 years experience as a civil trial and appellate lawyer
16823287

If I buy a drainage ditch, do I have the right to charge everyone

If I buy a drainage ditch, do I have the right to charge everyone who
drains into it a fee, at present they are paying nothing.
Expert:  Maverick replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer! My name isXXXXX very much enjoy what I do and I hope that you will benefit from this information.

..

If there is not a valid legal argument for an express or implied easement right, then yes, you could charge them to use the drainage ditch. However, trying to uncover whether an implied easement exists before you by the property may require a lot of research and be a little tricky. You would definitely want to hire a local real estate lawyer before making such purchase.

For, example someone who has been using the ditch for many years, may now have rights to use it by a concept called "prescriptive easements". Another example would be that if there is no other way for the water to be siphoned of, a person using the ditch could argue that he has what is called an "easement by necessity".

..

If you need more clarification or follow up information, please feel free to write back as there is no extra charge. Otherwise, please click on the ACCEPT button. Even if you have put in your payment information, I receive no credit for my time unless you press "ACCEPT".

Sometimes the law does not give you the outcome that you may have anticipated. Please understand that this is not the attorney's fault. We are assuming that you are paying for an honest and professional opinion.

Please know that there may be a delay between your follow up question and my answers because I may be helping other customers in the meantime. Rest assured, I will get back to you.

If you feel that I went an extra step to help, a bonus would be greatly appreciated!

This information is provided so you may better discuss legal issues with your attorney. Consult a local attorney for legal advice before acting. You may be able to find an attorney in your area to further assist you at http://www.martindale.com/ or at http://www.lawyers.com/ .

You can always request me for a future question by starting your new question with "This question is for Maverick".

Thank you for the opportunity to assist you.

Edited by Maverick on 2/1/2011 at 1:30 PM EST
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
How do I do the easement research?
Expert:  Maverick replied 5 years ago.

Determining the status of property easements begins with a special type of title search appropriately called an easements search. This specialized title search involves researching the historical ownership of the property, to locate any granting of property easements. This granting of rights normally occurs as a transfer which is not part of a full property ownership transfer. In most cases, the easements do not appear on the current property deed. See link below for more details:

http://www.easementsearch.com/