Richard, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with 29 years of experience.

A piece of property has high voltage power lines on it. The

A piece of property has high voltage power lines on it. The property has
been taken over by the county for not paying their tax payments. If I buy
this property do I have the right to charge the power company a fee to have
their power line structures on my land if I buy it? If they need to do some
maintenance on the power lines and need access from my property can I charge
them a fee or ask for restoration for any damage done to my land while they
are accessing their poles, ETC.

Good evening. Most likely not. If there is an existing easement on the property for the power lines, you will be taking the property subject to that easement which gives the right to the utility to run the lines and service them.

I hope this has given you the guidance you were seeking. I wish you the best of luck!

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

The information given here is not legal advice. As all states have different intricacies in their laws, the information given is general only. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
How do I find out if there's an easement?
If you have your title company do a title search, it will show up as an exception to title. Ask the title company not only for the title search but copies of all the back up documents, which will include the actual easement agreement.