Richard, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with 29 years of experience.

I have a collection company calling me for a credit card that

I have a collection company calling me for a credit card that I do not know about. They tell me it is from 1999 that I owe almost $15,000.00 to them. I know that I have nothig on my credit. I bought a house in 2001 and a car in 2009 and there is nothing on my credit from them.. How can I get them to quit calling my house?

Good evening. The statute of limitations in Colorado for credit card debt is 6 you have an absolute defense even if you did owe the money. Send the collection company a certified, return receipt requested letter explaining why you do not owe this debt and demand they immediately cease and desist all further efforts to contact you and/or to collect this debt. Inform them that any efforts to do otherwise will constitute a violation of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act and that you will report each and every violation to the Federal Trade Commission. Each violation carries at least a $1,000 fine, so that should be the end of things for you.

I hope this has given you the guidance you were seeking. I wish you the best of luck!

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

The information given here is not legal advice. As all states have different intricacies in their laws, the information given is general only. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.