LawHelpNow
LawHelpNow, Attorney/Lawyer
Experience:  Relax. Let's work together. Practical solutions.
6761470

I have cleaning service in aurora il ,i hired 2 cleaning ladies

I have cleaning service in aurora il ,i hired 2 cleaning ladies after one week of working form me they collect money from my last 2 customers in amount of $160 and disappear .they also took my supplies and equipment worth $600 . What i have to do ,? should i report them to the local Police ? or should i file small claim court ?
they don't want to cooperate . they don't answer their phones.

My apologies for a technical issue that seems to be removing my original spacing. If the text of my message appears difficult to read and/or random numbers appear to have been inserted, I am sorry for any inconvenience. I have submitted a report to our system for handling. Thanks for your patience!

Thanks so much for choosing this forum to pose your important legal question. I will do my best to give you some honest and accurate guidance as I answer your question.

1. I am a licensed attorney with criminal law and civil litigation experience. I will be glad to try and answer your questions. I hope that the following information will be helpful to you, but please just write back if you have any follow-up questions or need clarification on anything after reviewing the following information.
  2. "What i have to do ,? should i report them to the local Police ? or should i file small claim court ?" Contact your local law enforcement authorities (police department) immediately. The longer you wait, the harder it will be for the prosecutor to seek justice on your behalf. This should be done without delay...as in call right now. After you see how the criminal case unfolds (for example, the wrongdoers could be ordered to pay you restitution through the legal system), you would file a civil suit in small claims court to recover your monetary damages.
  3. I hope that makes sense, but please do not hesitate to write back if needed. I shall be signing off soon to attend to some other professional obligations. Please rest assured, however, that I will be sure to check for any updated posts from you when I return to this online forum. I am sorry and hope all works out for you.

I hope that this information has been helpful to you. If we can be of any further assistance please free to use our service again. Best wishes for a successful outcome.

If my answer has been helpful to you, please click "ACCEPT" so that I may be paid. This is the only way that I will receive compensation for the work performed. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done. Clicking "FEEDBACK" to leave your positive comments is always greatly appreciated.

The information provided is general in nature only and should not be construed as legal advice. By using this forum, you acknowledge that no attorney-client relationship has been created between you and Benjamin M. Burt, Jr., Esq. You should always consult with a lawyer in your state.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
So it is consider a crime right ? do you think they will be arested ? i am in aurora il ,what kind of proof should i bring for the prosecutors or detectives ? i try to cantact them several times they acting like i am threating them by telling them if they don't bring company money i have no choice but report them to the police, they told me go ahead and try ,we will let the police know that you threating us . all conversation has been done by text messages. they don't want to pick up the phone. .So what do you think what kind of consequences it could bring to them ?

NOTE: My apologies for a technical issue that seems to be removing my original spacing. If the text of my message appears difficult to read and/or random numbers appear to have been inserted, I am sorry for any inconvenience. I have submitted a report to our system for handling. Thanks for your patience!

Hello again,

Thanks for writing back -- good to hear from you.

I do ask that you kindly press "Accept" to process my answer.

I will be glad to comment further -- please see below.

1. "So it is consider a crime right ?" Yes. The conduct you have described is known as "theft by deception" and is a Class 3 Felony under Illinois law.
  2. "do you think they will be arested ?" Yes. I can make no promises or guarantees, but that would be my expectation based on the scenario you have related.
  3. "i am in aurora il ,what kind of proof should i bring for the prosecutors or detectives ?" All you need to do is make the call. Evidence is different for each case, and the police will tell you what is needed to assist the investigation and any subsequent prosecution.
  4. "So what do you think what kind of consequences it could bring to them ?" The statutorily prescribed penalty range for this offense is between two and five years of confinement (prison time) and/or a fine up to $25,000.

I hope that helps a bit more and that things work out properly for you in this matter.

Take care and thanks again for choosing JustAnswer®!

[Please click "Accept" -- this is the only way I get paid for my work and services provided.]