Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.

I was brought in as a contract Project Manager at Cardinal

Customer Question

I was brought in as a contract Project Manager at Cardinal Health in Dublin, Ohio. I have been working successfully in this capacity since September.

Recently, I brought my Congo African Grey parrot into the office for my collegues to see him as they are not just the average dog. I had him in a carrier and in the office for about 2 minutes.

Well seems the security guard got his nose out and reported me. Not that I know why.

I am being let go for some mysterious corp. policy because I brought the bird into the building.

I have never been given any instruction on Corp policy in any capacity whatsoever. So, I could be tripping over myself e very day.

Is this right? Can they just pull the 'corp policy' card even if you were never made aware of policy?
Expert:  LawHelpNow replied 5 years ago.

NOTE: My apologies for a technical issue that seems to be removing my original spacing. If the text of my message appears difficult to read and/or random numbers appear to have been inserted, I am sorry for any inconvenience. I have submitted a report to our system for handling. Thanks for your patience!

Hello and thanks for choosing Just Answer®.

I am a licensed attorney and will be glad to try and assist you.

To provide you with accurate information, could you please clarify these points:

1. Do you have a written employment contract?
  2. If so, did the company follow the provisions (if any) applicable to termination?

Once I hear back from you, I will be glad to let you know my answer. There may be some delay as I am assisting other customers or am away from my computer. Please rest assured, however, that I will get back to you as soon as possible.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes I have a contract and no, they did not spell out their 'corp. policies'
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I just read through my agreement with Tek Systems...NOTHING is in there about anything like this.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Nice...I figured this would be bogus.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hello? Hello?

Hello again,

Thanks for writing back so promptly. I am formulating your answer now, but I noticed you posted: "Nice...I figured this would be bogus."

Do you still want an answer?

If so, please just let me know and I will have it posted. It does take a few moments as we legal experts are assisting other clients. However, I could easily have your answer posted in say 15 minutes or so.

Thanks again!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Well, show me what you have.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Look, I rescue parrots. I had one that was injured in at the vet and decided to stop by the office and take him in for a 'hello'. He is a Congo African Grey.

Everyone had a blast seeing him. He never came out of his carrier. I was in the office for about 2 min. with him and then left.

This is why they are letting me go. I get great reviews on my job performance but...holy shit! I brought my bird into the office! Not that I knew it was tabu or that security stopped me at all.

Hello again,

Thanks for writing back -- good to hear from you.

I have opted out (without charge). My attorney colleagues are able to view your question, and a fellow legal expert can provide an answer if they choose to do so.

I would like to wish you all the best and truly hope you see this matter resolved.

Take care and thanks again for choosing JustAnswer®!

[Please do not reply to this post as doing so will delay handling of your inquiry.]

Edited by Benjamin M. Burt, Jr., Esq. on 2/1/2011 at 4:39 AM EST
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Are you really a lawyer? Geez, I thought you had to pass the bar exam.

I guess you are not interested in Cardinal Health (big money) settling for a nice 'just go away' amount?