Richard, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with 29 years of experience.
17027240

i have a lease on a house,only my names on the lease. my brother

i have a lease on a house,only my names on the lease. my brother moved in 2 1/2 years ago made verbale agreement he pay utilities and i pay rent. if he defaults he's out. well he defaulted i asked him to leave and he won't. how do i get him out
Expert:  Richard replied 6 years ago.

Good evening. If he obtained a TRO and the lease is in your name, then he's the one that has to leave, not you. You can file a motion with the court to force him out to allow you to comply with the TRO. In the interim, you have to follow the steps that you would take to evict a month to month tenant....which is to give him a 3-Day Notice to Quit...meaning he must vacate the premises within that period or face formal eviction. Then, if he still has not left, you must file a petition for an eviction order. Once that is granted...you can have the sheriff evict him. You may then file a claim against him for all unpaid amounts. Once you get your judgment, you can attach his assets, including bank accounts, and garnish his wages, to collect that judgment.

I hope this has given you the guidance you were seeking. I wish you the best of luck!

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

The information given here is not legal advice. As all states have different intricacies in their laws, the information given is general only. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.