LADYLAWYER
LADYLAWYER, Lawyer
Experience:  Civil; Family; HOA; Landlord/Tenant; Real Estate; Probate; Insurance; Immigration; Wills & Trusts
7887522

My landlord and I share the electric bill. We live on the same

My landlord and I share the electric bill. We live on the same property. About six months ago, he allowed a trailer on the property with people living in it. (He doesn't have a permit to do this). He connected their trailer to our electricity. I wasn't aware of it until the electric bill spiked up several months ago. He has been forcing me to continue paying for half of it. Also, he runs a business on the property which I wasn't aware of when I moved in. He also claimed he used a pellet stove in his house but he doesn't - he uses electric heaters. The furnace where I live has been broken for months & he refuses to fix it so I also use heaters. As a result of all this, the electric bill is sky high! I'm moving at the end of this month & the landlord is threatening me because I shorted him $50 last month on the $350 electric bill. I've never used more than an average of $50 a month for electricity anywhere else I've lived.
Can I take him to court to get a refund on overpayment of electricity or at least stop him from further threats or action against me. This situation is stressing me out a lot. I'm afraid to go outside because he tries to intimidate me.
Sorry for the long question.
Thank you
Sue
Expert:  LADYLAWYER replied 3 years ago.

LADYLAWYER :

Hello, Thanks for choosing Justanswer.com! I look forward to helping you with legal information today.

LADYLAWYER :

Do you have a security deposit that you placed with him?

Customer :

yes

Okay, thank you. There is a way you can take him to court to ask for the portion of the electric bill back after the trailer come onto the property. There may also be a way to get money back for electricity used for the business he was operating, especially since you did not know about it. The judge will probably not give you any money for the electric heaters that both of you were using. You are probably going to have to sue him anyway because I am sure he is just going to keep anything you didn't pay him out of your deposit. I would wait until you're out of there to sue.

I would go ahead and report the trailer. You can't threaten him with doing it in order to obtain something of value--that is blackmail and extortion. Please just let me know if you have any more questions. If not, please don't forget to click on the green accept button in the answer box so that I can receive credit for helping you. It is the only way I can receive compensation for my time and it will charge you nothing further to press accept. Thanks so much.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Just one question before I accept your great response: Do you know who I report the trailor to?

Happy to keep helping you. Yes, you would report it to code enforcement or the planning and zoning board in your town. Also, as far as the harassment, I would just call the cops if you are feeling threatened. You can also go down to your local court house and file for a restraining order.

LADYLAWYER, Lawyer
Experience: Civil; Family; HOA; Landlord/Tenant; Real Estate; Probate; Insurance; Immigration; Wills & Trusts