LawHelpNow
LawHelpNow, Attorney/Lawyer
Experience:  Relax. Let's work together. Practical solutions.
6761470

How is it going guys.Im gonna make this short because I know

How is it going guys.Im gonna make this short because I know you guys are busy. I signed a contract with this talent agency. But it turns out there not who they say they are. Is it true I can get out the contract before 30 days. They want me to pay them 3,000 over a course of 3yrs. Im located in the stae of Califoria.I really need some help.

very respectfully
Expert:  LawHelpNow replied 5 years ago.

NOTE: My apologies for a technical issue that seems to be removing my original spacing. If the text of my message appears difficult to read and/or random numbers appear to have been inserted, I am sorry for any inconvenience. I have submitted a report to our system for handling. Thanks for your patience!

Thanks so much for choosing this forum to pose your important legal question. I will do my best to give you some honest and accurate guidance as I answer your question.

1. I am a licensed attorney with commercial contract law experience. I will be glad to try and answer your question. I hope that the following information will be helpful to you, but please just write back if you have any follow-up questions or need clarification on anything after reviewing the following information.
  2. "Is it true I can get out the contract before 30 days." No. Unfortunately, there is quite a bit of misunderstanding on this point, which has become known as the "right to rescission", "30 days cancellation right", etc. Such matters are governed by the Talent Agency Act codified at California Labor Code § 1700 et seq. In other words, while a given contract could certainly provide for a 30-day cancellation right, the law does not automatically afford such a right absent a specific provision.
  3. I hope that makes sense, but please do not hesitate to write back if needed. I shall be signing off soon to attend to some other professional obligations. Please rest assured, however, that I will be sure to check for any updated posts from you when I return to this online forum. I am sorry and hope all works out for you.

I hope that this information has been helpful to you. If we can be of any further assistance please free to use our service again. Best wishes for a successful outcome.

If my answer has been helpful to you, please click "ACCEPT" so that I may be paid. This is the only way that I will receive compensation for the work performed. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done. Clicking "FEEDBACK" to leave your positive comments is always greatly appreciated.

The information provided is general in nature only and should not be construed as legal advice. By using this forum, you acknowledge that no attorney-client relationship has been created between you and Benjamin M. Burt, Jr., Esq. You should always consult with a lawyer in your state.

Benjamin M. Burt, Jr., Esq.40573.731150081
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
So is that a no or yes

NOTE: My apologies for a technical issue that seems to be removing my original spacing. If the text of my message appears difficult to read, I am sorry for any inconvenience. I have submitted a report to our system for handling. Thanks for your patience!

Hello again,

Thanks for writing back -- good to hear from you.

I do ask that you kindly press "Accept" to process my answer.

I will be glad to comment further -- please see below.

The answer is "no" unless this particular contract provides for such a cancellation right. Without having benefit of seeing the document you signed, that is the best that can be said.

I hope that helps a bit more and that things work out properly for you in this matter.

Take care and thanks again for choosing JustAnswer®!

[Please click "Accept" -- this is the only way I get paid for my work and services provided.]