Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters

I was in chicago in on 12-1-2010. Not being from chicago,

Customer Question

I was in chicago in on 12-1-2010. Not being from chicago, i did not realize until the next day that I had gone thru a few tolls without paying (I was i the left most lanes and was concentrating on directions). Once I realized, I called to pay the toll. I was told that they could not tell me the toll amount and to wait for notification. When I did receive the notification, for the 3 tolls 0f .80 cents each, I am being charged $62.40. I again tried to plead my case...since the directions were not clear and I did try to pay my toll later. Is there anything I can do?

Expert:  Roger replied 5 years ago.

Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a litigation attorney here to assist you.

I've had the same experience in unfamiliar cities - and I've been fined for going through without paying! So, I can understand your situation.

The botXXXXX XXXXXne is that "ignorance of the law is no excuse" as I'm sure you've heard before. Even if you made a mistake, it doesn't matter - you still broke the law and have to pay the penalty.

Sure, they could give you a break and pull the ticket, but it's not likely going to happen. Also, if you go to court and explain to the judge what happened, he may let you out of it, but the expense of taking a day off of work and traveling back to Chicago is likely going to cost you more than $62, so it doesn't make economic sense to pursue this.