Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.

my husband and i are separated, although not legally, bascially

my husband and i are separated, although not legally, bascially he just abandoned our family. my children are over 18 yrs of age. is there anyway to hold him responsible for some of the finances we accrued while we were together?
Expert:  Tina replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for contacting I am sorry to hear of your difficult situation.

Yes. Debts incurred during the marriage are typically marital debt and the divorce court can order each spouse to pay 1/2 the debts incurred.

Abandonment is also a grounds for divorce in TX which can lead to a more equitable division of property and debt for you, the abandoned spouse.

To obtain a final order, you need to file a petition for dissolution based on one of the grounds for divorce recognized under TX law. Here is a link that lists the grounds for divorce:

All the best to you in the New Year.

Please press the ACCEPT button so I may be credited and paid for my time by Positive feedback and a BONUS are always appreciated.

NOTE: The law sometimes does not provide the answer we hoped it would. Please consider that I devote time to providing answers whether it benefits you or not and hope you don’t choose to shoot the messenger.

As always, I am available to clarify the answers for you. Thank you and the best of luck.