How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask NateLawAnswers Your Own Question
NateLawAnswers, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 10685
Experience:  Over 8 years of legal practice.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
NateLawAnswers is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Our Hospital has started billing seperately for every time

Resolved Question:

Our Hospital has started billing seperately for every time you go and have anything done in the hospital. In December we were called by mercy hospital and told that our bill would be turned over to the states attorney if we didn't pay our bill. We have been making payments on the hospital bill every month. So when we got this call, we decided to just pay the bill in full. So we were given a total that we paid and just this last week we were served with papers for a totally different amount and told that the collection agency had called the first of December and told us that I needed to take care of this bill or it would be turned over. I thought that it was Mercy Hospital, since that is how she introduced herself. So when we called the hospital itself they told us it was the total bill. Now today they tell us that was the total bill minus the amount turned over. What are our rights. I thought if you attempted to pay a bill you could not be turned to collections
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  NateLawAnswers replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for your question.

Did Mercy tell you the amount you paid would have fulfilled your obligation in full?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
My husband asked them multiple times what the total amount was because we wanted to pay everything in full
Expert:  NateLawAnswers replied 6 years ago.
In that case, you will want to contact the North Dakota Consumer Protection and Anti-Trust Division. They can help you resolve this.

As well, request proof of the debt from the collection agency under the FDCPA (Fair Debt and Collection Practices Act). They have to prove the debt. If they do not stop, you can make a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission.

I will be happy to follow up with you if you have additional questions. In the meantime, please click ACCEPT so that I can get credit for answering your question.


Nathan Moore
NateLawAnswers and 6 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you