NateLawAnswers
NateLawAnswers, Attorney
Experience:  Over 8 years of legal practice.
11217539

Live In Illinois. Car hit black ice and went into ditch on

Customer Question

Live In Illinois. Car hit black ice and went into ditch on country road (resulted in only damage to my car, nothing else). Cell phone was dead, another driver pulled over and drove me home. By the time I had chanfed a police officer was at my door and gave me a ticket for failure to reduce speed (tix said road conditions were dry, but I took pictures that show that road was icy) and fauilire to report an accident (i was gone from car no longer then 30 minutes and intended to call but they beat me to it. Today in court I plead not guilty. Was not the right thing to do?
Expert:  NateLawAnswers replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for your question.

That was definitely the right thing to do.

I am a bit shocked you were cited like this. Fortunately you have pictures showing the conditions were otherwise. I believe you have a strong defense and would encourage you to press your case and try it before the judge. The conditions as they were, no one with common sense could hold you liable for leaving where your car wrecked.

I will be happy to follow up with you if you have additional questions. In the meantime, please click ACCEPT so that I can get credit for answering your question.

Thanks!

Nathan Moore
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
In Illinois, is failure to report an accident a traffic misdemeanor?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
I want to understand if I was correct in leaving my car (although no other cars or property were involved) in the state of illinois. Is it considered a traffic misdemeanor?